.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

.:: The Daily Cowbell ::.

Saturday, November 05, 2005

Observations | Sleep (or lack of it), the game park, and SLT version 2.0

MY APARTMENT – I don’t know why I’m still awake.

It’s almost 11pm, I didn’t get my traditional Sabbath nap, I’ve been in the sun and outside all day so I’m sleepy, and I have to wake up at 8am (on my weekend off) to go on another blasted Mount Kenya prep-hike. I could use the sleep.

But alas, it’s Saturday night, my kids in the dorm are awake, and here I am, in front of the laptop, about ready to inform you about my adventures for the day. *Yawn* Maybe this will just be a quick one…

Three Observations:

1. This tiredness is really starting to concern me. After sleeping in a little bit extra yesterday morning, I was determined to spend some time awake on Friday afternoon, working on Egypt stuff and some other small things. So when the Sandman dropped by, begging for another 20 minute nap, I knew I’d be ok. After all, I wasn’t tired, and I had stuff to do. This would be quick…

Three hours later, this time, and I wake up. Where’d my day go? I missed time to work on my project, missed supper, and then thought I was about to miss Vespers. I threw on my clothes, ran outside towards the church, and realized I was a half-hour early. Eeeeesh.

I wonder if I’m sick. Or still not adjusted to the time. Or just plain crazy. Or lazy. Or hazy…

2. “Today, I was charged at by a rhino.” This was originally a small point, regarding my trip to the Nairobi Game Park this afternoon. However, after much consideration (and a whole lot more writing), I decided an adventure like this afternoon’s deserves more than a point in Observations. Click here for a wonderful piece, if I may say so myself, on my adventures in the game park.

3. SLT, part II. I knew SLT was about to begin another discipline streak. It happened today, after the game drive. SLT was just exiting the bus, and the supper line was just starting to form. Elvin and his Social-Life Terminator, code named “Dean Webb,” hurried up to the line to get decent food positioning. It looked like an uneventful mealtime run.

That is, until Alex* came around. A notorious “cutter,” he started in the back of the line, doing the little cutter’s dance. When the moment was right, he slipped in, standing right behind Elvin and SLT. At that exact moment, SLT turned around and caught him in the act, and the public argument began.

SLT: Back of the line.
Alex*: No.
SLT: Now.
Alex*: No.


The “talk” went like this for a few minutes, with the SLT experiencing his first stirrings of anger. The anger would increase when the doors opened and Alex* made a bee-line for inside, at the watermelon portion of the serving counter. SLT chased down the perpetrator and pulled him off to the side for a public scolding. That scolding would result in even more attitude from demon-seed Alex*.

SLT stormed off, only to return moments later with his punishment – Alex* would be spending the rest of his meals for the week sitting next to Social-Life Terminator. This was the last straw for Alex*. He remained adamant that he hadn’t committed a crime, and furthermore, insisted that he be brought before not judge nor jury, but Ad Council.

Which SLT sits on.

More to come on this late-breaking story.

Ok, after writing two massive posts, I think it's time to go to bed. Wow, it's 1am. Hope I can get up in... 7 hours.

-cw

*Names have been changed to protect the innocent... or presumed innocent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home