.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

.:: The Daily Cowbell ::.

Sunday, October 30, 2005

Observations | Hiking, Snow, Hick Tunes

MY APARTMENT – Still another hour and a half until kickoff.

Probably the hardest part of being a Chiefs fan on another continent is the horrible time difference that makes listening to games hardly bearable. Valerie and I thought the game began at 3pm (CST), so we could listen from 11pm to 2am. We made “reservations” to hang out at the Hartzell’s house so Val, cursed with a computer without a sound card, could listen to the victory.

However, I failed to remember the Daylight Savings Time. Correct kickoff, Africa time: Midnight.

So here I am, sitting at my computer, waiting, waiting, and waiting still for the game to begin. I’m going to be so wasted tomorrow morning for dorm worship. Ah well, the price to pay to be obsessed!

Three Observations

1. A hill kicked my butt. Every year, MAA takes a group of students up to Mount Kenya, the tallest mountain in the country, for a couple-day campout and climb to the top. The SMs are traditionally among the mountaineers, and this year, no exception. We’re planning on making our way to the peak for the February hike along with the students.

But before we do, we have to train by going on crack-of-dawn (8am) hikes most Sundays. Today was the first of those hikes. So at 8:30am, we hopped onto school vehicles, drove out to a hill in the middle of nowhere, and began the hike from hell.

Right off the bat, we had to go down the hill. While this seems like a welcomed warm-up, it was, by no means, that. We knew that what goes down must come back up, after we exhausted ourselves on the 5km walk to the low-point of the hill. Then, after putting all that strain on our butts, we had to turn around and trudge back up another 5km, this time straining the calves.

A solid 2 hours later, we boarded the bus again, grateful for the ride back to MAA. I was hot, sweaty, sun-burnt, achy… and satisfied with the exercise I’d gotten for the day. I think we’re off next Sunday, and our next hike will be the 13th. Good chance to rest a while and start it all back up. I’m excited; the goal will definitely justify the work I’m putting into it.

Now, where did I put that aspirin…

2. I still hate the snow, but… I’ve been talking to my parents and uncle lately about our annual ski-trip to Breckenridge, Colorado, and I’ve come to realize something; I’m not going to see snow for a year. At all.

Oh, there’s some snow here – on top of Mount Kilimanjaro, where Elvin, Valerie, and other MAA staff will be for Christmas break. But I’ll be far away, hanging out on the Red Sea with Pyramids in Egypt. Otherwise, there’s none, anywhere.

I’m not missing it, mind you, and I won’t miss it, no matter what. I loath every flake that falls from the sky, especially when driving a Volkswagen Beetle – you feel every inch of ice. But how strange, that something I’ve grown up around won’t be here. At all. Weird.

3. And speaking of that… What about country music? I’m not going to be able to hear any country music for another 6 months, huh? This might not seem to a big deal to you, but to a guy who’s having problems coming up with a third point for his Three Observations thing, it’s a valid enough thought to merit a point, right?

Ok, I think I'm done here. I've got a couple more hours of pregame to listen to. Let me, before I go, again say hello to everyone at home. I miss you all, I love you, and I pray that you're keeping me in your prayers.

And again, let me reiterate: chrisw@maxwellsda.org. It's not just a hint anymore, it's the new "in-phrase." Rumor has it that all the cool kids in New York and LA are saying it to all their friends.

How about this: next time someone sneezes, instead of saying "God bless you," say "chrisw@maxwellsda.org." That way, it serves a dual purpose. If enough people do it, it'll totally be accepted.

I’M OUT!

-cw

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home