.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

.:: The Daily Cowbell ::.

Sunday, November 06, 2005

Observations | Government class, SLT, and the amazing blessing that is the Java House

MY APARTMENT – I’m pooped.

I did another Mount Kenya prep-hike, and I walked it a lost faster. I set a good pace walking down the hill – fast, but not enough to wear me out – and then struggled back up the hill. Nonetheless, I still finished out strong: 10k (straight down and up – no flat areas) in one hour, 25 minutes.

Because next Sunday is banquet (meaning a required 16-hour hair-preparation festival in the girls dorm and an equally impressive 10-minute Shower/Dress/Spray -cologne-all-over-your-body mad-dash in the guys dorm), Mr. Thomas gave the option of walking this Sunday or last Sunday – either option would work. Me? I need the training. Even though I worked it this last week, I’ll be ready for another dose of sore muscles when 8am on Sunday rolls around.

Three Observations:

1. Teaching – once a dream, now a very possible reality. Is it true? Have the prayers I prayed before I left been answered? Will 2nd Semester be the debut of “Mr. Webb – The Teacher”?

After Friday night’s Vespers program, Valerie, Honey, Elvin, and I headed down to the Merginio’s place for some brownies, ice cream, and fellowship. We told stories, shared some laughs, and had an overall great time. But what I came out with was an offer by Lauran (my Egypt traveling companion) for next semester.

Lauran is the school counselor, a Bible teacher, a PE teacher, the student-travel liaison, and one of the hostel parents, just to name a few of his jobs. In a nutshell, he’s stacked with responsibilities and still burdened with Government class 2nd semester. He’d been looking for a way to get out of teaching the class when he heard about my interest to actually have my own class. Match made in heaven?

He brought up the possibility to gauge my interest in taking the obligation from him. Needless to say, I was thrilled. Since I left the States, my biggest goal for the year was to actually be a teacher – run my own classroom, assign homework, do grades, give tests – and now, it looks that I’ll have that chance.

As of now, I’m awaiting the chance to glance through the book and other teaching materials before officially agreeing to it. Don’t get me wrong; I’m not going to say “No” to this chance. I just want to be sure when I say “Yes.”

More to come…

2. SLT strikes yet again. A few days ago, I reported about SLT having to face Alex*, a compulsive line-cutter with an extreme arguing fetish. SLT had grounded the student to sit with him, every meal, for one week, to which Alex* emphatically stated that this wasn’t going to happen. SLT threatened Ad Council, and Alex* encouraged it, thinking they’d be more willing to forgive and forget.

He didn’t think about the fact that if the word insubordination comes up in Ad Council, the first response is “Suspension.”

So later, when I approached him to remind him of this fact, he caved in and solemnly vowed to follow my punishment. Muhahaha…

3. Java. Is. Amazing. After the hike from hell, the Hartzells took us out to Java House at Nakumatt Junction for some B-E-A-U-tiful brunch food. We purposely didn’t ea t a lot for breakfast and nothing after the walk so save up the hunger for Java. After hours of starvation preparation, I dismantled a massive bean burrito and a cup of Kenyan dark coffee in a period of 28 seconds. Holla.

Seriously, the trips that we take to the Java House on Sundays, when we’re off and need to get some super-great breakfast, are going to be something I definitely remember for a long time. As much as I’m looking forward to going home eventually, the memories I’m making here are things I’d never trade in the world.

Ok, that’s all for this edition of The Daily Cowbell. I’m on duty tonight, and I plan on bringing my laptop to the office to listen to the Chiefs game. GO KC!

-cw

*Names have been changed to protect the innocent... or presumed innocent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home