.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

.:: The Daily Cowbell ::.

Monday, September 05, 2005

Observations | Fez, Sabbath School, and Punishments

MY APARTMENT – “Here comes the rain again.” “Rainy Day Women.” “Flower in the rain.” “Grace like rain.” “Purple Rain.”

This is my iTunes playlist during my first African downpour. At 4:50pm, there were hardly clouds in the sky. At 4:55pm, it had gotten dark, but didn’t look like it was “storm worthy.” By 5pm, the monsoon had begun.

It was beautiful, and a welcome sight to remind me of home. One of the things I miss the most about the Midwest is our tumultuous and volatile climate. Even after the horrors we witnessed in New Orleans these past few weeks, I still believe that storms are God’s natural fireworks show for us. Beautiful.

As promised, three bonus observations from the past few days:

  1. Fez attends Maxwell Academy. I have a student whose voice is exactly the same as Fez’s from That 70’s Show. As much as I wish I could seriously converse with him, it’s pretty much impossible to keep from bursting into laughter whenever he speaks. Is it wrong if I tell him to get some testosterone or get out of my face? I wonder if Maxwell has a steroid policy...

  2. MAA Sabbath School is intense... and interesting... and invigorating. Alliteration aside, I can honestly say that this week, my Sabbath School (led by my Shalom, Mulela, and Marlon) was the most talk-friendly, interactive lesson study I’ve sat through in years. We debated, we bickered, we ran our opinions over “Christian responsibility” into the ground and back again. Does this happen anywhere else? Nowhere I know of.

  3. Punishment is fun! Today, I’ve punished 5 students for offenses varying from the mundane (general insubordination) to the bizarre (taking pictures other students on the pot). Sadly, the best punishment I could come up with was grounding from rec. Not as impressive as a few days ago, when Captain, my trouble-maker, was out of his room after lights out, and I made him scrub toilets with a two-inch travel toothbrush. Oh yes, Carlos, I do have punishing potential.
Ok, since I’m off until tomorrow morning, I think I’m going to watch my ripped-off Nakumatt version of Mr. and Mrs. Smith with Elvin. Tomorrow is my afternoon off; update on my latest Nairobi adventure soon!

Miss you all! Please write and keep my in your prayers!

-cw

1 Comments:

  • CHRIS WEBB I'm SO PROUD OF YOU! YOU ACTUALLY PUNISHED A STUDENT! WOW! Hehe!
    -Cassie

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wed Sep 07, 06:45:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home