.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

.:: The Daily Cowbell ::.

Saturday, August 27, 2005

Observations | Students are here, Worship Services, Potluck

MY APARTMENT - I love Sabbath. I love Sabbath meal. I love post-Sabbath meal nap-session. In honor of Kung Pow:

Mr. Cut-off toe guy: "You must excuse Master Pain, er, um, Betty. It's 12 o'clock, and time for his nap. Betty."
Betty: "Mmmm, sleepy time."

Three observations from the last 24-hours:
  1. Students are now on campus. Amazing, huh? I’m told that they’ve been around since as early as Sunday. Amazing. I knew nothing of this.But seriously, it’s great that these kids have showed up. The campus just had a lonely, empty feeling. Now, it’s really alive. It’s especially great to see them at worship programs, participating and leading out. Which brings me to...

  2. Worship is different here. Vespers felt so empty compared to Union’s, and I really missed it at the close of Friday night’s service. It was a nice program - a song service (with no guitars), a few little skits, and a “get to know each other” activity. Simple and quick. It was okay, but I found my mind drifting to what would be going on in Lincoln in 8 hours...

    Sabbath School and Church felt similar to me. While I enjoyed actually studying the lesson and having a chance to go over it as a group, I went through church wondering what Pastor Fordham would be preaching about at Allon Chapel. It was just... different. Not bad, just different. However...

  3. Potluck is awesome on any continent. Do people outside our religion use the word “potluck”? Or is it one of those weird, Adventist-y things like “haystacks? Either way, I stand by a statement I’ve made a million times: Potlucks are amazing. It’s like the idea of a sampler-plate, mixed with some group participation, and just a sprinkle of competition, all on Sabbath. I would venture to say that if Jesus had the choice between a regular cafeteria meal and a potluck, He would swing by the house, pick up His secret-ingredient macaroni-and-potato salad, and swing by the house for some good eatin’.
Ok, that was a lot. The Sandman beckons. Goodnight, and have a wonderful Sabbath.

-cw

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home