.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

.:: The Daily Cowbell ::.

Monday, August 22, 2005

Will it get harder?

MY APARTMENT – I just might enjoy this job.

After doing dorm worship for the first time (thanks to Mr. Blake’s “16-Square Person” analogy), I spent the rest of my morning “work time” sending emails, checking guys into the dorm, chatting on MSN, and overall, not doing a whole lot. Of course, it’s not a real school day; this is day two of registration. Nonetheless, it was still a pretty good sign of things to come.

Mr. VerSteeg watches the guys at night, and my job is to watch them in the mornings. This is great for me, because after about 10pm (even at Union) I start to slow way down. I’m definitely an AM person, so it works for me.

To my surprise, after the exhausting first half of the day I had, I was informed that the afternoon was mine to have for myself. I immediately took advantage of the situation by popping in Shattered Glass into my laptop and ironing clothes, just like I used to do at UC! It made me “wanna go back to Union again…” but then again, I’m doing just fine here.

Towards the end of dorm worship, I heard a phone call coming from the dean’s office. I slipped out the back of the chapel, sprinted towards the door, and somehow made it to the phone.

“Guys’ dorm dean’s office?”

(Delayed reply) “Is Chris Webb there?”

(Concerned) “Yes, this is him…”

(Delayed again) “Hey Chris, it’s dad!”

I was so excited, I almost dropped the phone! Finally, after trying so long to get a good connection, I finally got to hear their voices. We didn’t talk too long; I had to get over to the gym to supervise, and they didn’t want to use all their phone card minutes. However, we made plans on them calling me back in the morning so I could say goodbye before my abuelita left back for Texas. It was literally the highlight of my day.

After watching the gym for an hour, I headed back to the apartment, where I am now sitting. It was a good day of work, for not doing anything. Tomorrow, classes start for the kids. For me, just another exhausting day of being a dean.

-cw

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home