.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

.:: The Daily Cowbell ::.

Friday, June 24, 2005

One week down!

OLSBURG, KS - Well, my first week of camp at Broken Arrow Ranch is over. In similar news, I am sick of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

After arriving about a week late to my 2nd summer working at BAR, I was tossed back into the fire of counseling during Blind Camp week. While it is probably the most intense camp in regards to taking care of people, it is most definately the most rewarding. When I look back at everything I experienced working here last year, I remember my blind campers - Jordan, James, "Tyle" - and smile. Some experiences (making two peanut butter and jelly sandwiches a meal for campers who don't like veggie-meat, trying to communicate to someone who has no idea of what colors are, having to walk them literally EVERYWHERE, etc) make the job a bit more stressful, but in the end, becoming friends with them makes it al worth it.

Next up: Friendship camp. These are typically non-Adventist kids that come from pretty rought backgrounds. Last year I had the "black cabin," where all but one of my campers were black. While it was a little tiring having to chase them around and force them to stop fighting the congrgation of Russian campers that also come to this camp, it was still an experience i wouldn't trade if I could.

Well, today is my day off, and I'm about ready to head off to have some fun. I realy do plan on writing more consistently soon, promise! Miss you all!

-cw

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home