.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

.:: The Daily Cowbell ::.

Sunday, October 23, 2005

Observations | SPECIAL FIRST-QUARTER EDITION

BOYS’ DEAN’S OFFICE – Let the daily grind begin again.

It’s been a fabulous couple of days off while the kids were on homeleave. Although only a third of them were gone, and I spent half my time with them, the calm feeling coming from them was definitely felt by the staff, too. I got to stay up, sleep in, and spend some time not doing a whole lot of anything. It was a much-needed detox from the regular.

It’s also a marker for the first quarter of school (and my first quarter here). After these first couple months here, I’ve developed some impressions about my situation. So, now, may I again present…

Three (more broad) observations:

1. It’s different here than at home. Really, I mean it. Living in a third-world country with a history of political instability isn’t worse, just… different. There’s just thing that would seem weird to you, back in the ‘States, but are generally accepted and normal here.

For instance, rice is eaten every day. That might not sound too strange, but let it sink in; 90% of lunchtime and dinner meals include rice. Rice with this stew on top of it, rice with these vegetables with it, rice with veggie-meat, rice with gravy. It’s not bad – the item that goes with the rice makes it vary from day to day. But it’s still an every-day occurrence.

Or when driving into Nairobi, it’s not uncommon to see: baboons on the side of the road, donkeys pulling carts, people pulling carts, insane driving that almost runs all the other people off the road from the Matatu taxi service, a warthog crossing the road, a set of newly-installed potholes, policemen with AK-47s guarding the outside (and inside) of Nakumatt, the second-largest area of slums on the continent of Africa, and/or approximately 47 roundabouts.

But the biggest difference is simply how not-American it is here. Life isn’t slow, but not nearly as fast as it is at home. “Streamlined efficiency” is a vocabulary word from a fiction book, as is “cleanliness.” Stuff isn’t color-coded. They drive their vehicles wildly, but still more defensive than at home. There’s tons of Indian/Asia influence, almost more than Western influence.

It’s just… different.

2. I enjoy deaning/teaching/working at an academy. I remember, long ago, thinking how I’d like to work in an academy so I could work with the youth, inspire them to work hard, be the “cool” faculty. I now see the error in my thought process, especially on the last point. While it’s fun to be the “cool” faculty and admirable to want to push them, that’s not the focus. The ultimate goal is to be a positive role model for the students.

Sometimes accomplishing, or aiming for, that goal is confusing. I was brought here for a job, and I’m obligated to support the school’s policies. If students are breaking the rules, I nail them on it, no matter how hard (or easy, in the case of social) it is. My masters in the job are Mr. Thomas, the principal, and Mr. VerSteeg, the dean. I must support and uphold what they say.

But, as I’ve said from the beginning, my mission is to show Christ to these kids, and I make sure whatever rules I bend or break, I do it for that reason alone. When they come and talk to me, I try not to tower over them as a faculty member, but advise them like an older brother. I want them to like me and to trust me, so if/when something comes up, they’re comfortable talking to Mr. Webb. They’ll know that he’ll look out for the best in them.

3. Jet lag, like TOTALLY sucks. Even though I know I got over it after about 7 days here, I wonder still if I’m truly adjusted. I find myself staying up later that I like to, and even if I go to bed at an acceptable hour, I smack the snooze an average of 3 times a morning. I’m either a) dying, b) still not adjusting to the time change, or c) destined to live the next 7 months of my time here in a sleep-deprived funk.

Ok, well I’d better take off. Another update to come soon!

-cw

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home