.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

.:: The Daily Cowbell ::.

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Observations - Freshmen, Flagball, "What's in Union?"

BOYS’ DEAN’S OFFICE – I accidentally bought another book.

On our weekly trip to Nairobi this Tuesday afternoon, we visited a new Nakumatt – Nakumatt Junction. I can say, without a doubt, that this place is the most Western-like spot I’ve been in the last month and a half. It’s clean, incredible modern, and puts Junction City’s Wal-Mart to shame.

I loved the 3-story Java House in the same building as the supermarket, and it was awesome to see so many “foreigners” in the same place at the same time. But the best part was the Media Center, a colossal book/music/electronics store that reminded me of a much trendier, more hip Barnes and Noble. We floated around, eying he DVD racks, the CDs of our favorite American artists, and the extensive selection of books.

I explored the store wide-eyed, so grateful to be somewhere so much like home. The only way to display my gratitude to the Nakumatt Corporation, I felt, was to patronize their shop. It is the least I can do. I explored the store for a while, when suddenly, one item popped out of the shelf, yelling “Look at me! Pick me up and just check me out!”

5 minutes later, I was walking out of the Media Center with Mind Gym, an incredible little book of cerebral aerobics. Since I bought it, I’ve pretty consistently read a chapter/topic a day, taking my time to focus on its points. I’ve learned the 9 ways to influence people, how to effectively argue with myself, and what holds me back from taking big steps. I’ve also gained insight on how pessimistic I am, and how I can intentionally make myself more optimistic.

I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in small personal modifications, and as a way to present my new skills, I shall now give…

Three (usually pessimistic but now optimistic) observations:
  1. Ok, I don’t miss being a freshman that much. My freshman class (that I’m co-sponsoring with Miss Honey) reminds me why I enjoy being an adult. I’ve sat in class meetings twice in the last week as the young’uns prepare for Peanut Carnival (similar to Junior Benefit), and we’ve discussed three main topics.

    a) “What is, like, the coolest Playstation game you have?”
    b) “Why do we, like, always get homework?”
    c) “Can we leave yet? This is, like, so booooooooooring...”

    Notice in the above list how many times Peanut Carnival (or things pertaining to it) are actually talked about: none. If it wasn’t for the class president, Lameck, or one of the sponsors yelling for the group to focus on the issue at hand, we’d never get anything done. Gosh.

    Overly optimistic slant:
    It’s awesome being an adult. Now I can look back on my difficult times dealing with my young peers and be able to help Lameck get stuff done.

  2. 7 years and counting: I still suck at flagball. After 4 years in academy, 2 years in college, and one game at Maxwell, I can officially say that I’m still un-undefeated. I’ve never won one game of this sport I love to pieces, and while I’m sure it’s God teaching me something, I still am going to go ahead and say “C’mon! Why not one? Just one!!!

    Last night, the Matatus, my flagball team (named after the incredibly crazy and unorganized taxi system in Kenya… hey, maybe that’s why we suck…) played its first game against the Saints. Lusyomo, our quarterback, seemed to have things under control with Valerie and me blocking rushers for him. But after a few scrambles, the stomach virus that had plagued him earlier in the morning returned, and he was forced to drop out of the game.

    Who did that leave as the starting QB? The least capable person, of course. I insisted that I shouldn’t be allowed to touch the ball under any circumstances, but the team would have nothing of it. The former Social Life Terminator was now the Matatus quarterback.

    I thanked them for the appointment by throwing an interception (returned for a touchdown) in my first pass.We ended up losing the game 12-0. so not an incredibly bad start to the season; just not a good one.

    Our second game of the season is tonight, against the Packers. Shalom, the quarterback of last night’s opponent, volunteered to substitute as quarterback for our team tonight. I’m incredibly grateful, but I haven’t forgotten about last night. I might let a rusher or two slip by, just to teach him a lesson.

    Overly optimistic slant:
    Update – We tied the game, 6-6. So we didn’t lose. We must be improving!

  3. What is the best way to sell Union College to the Seniors? It’s not by telling them it’s the only Adventist college in a city. “Lincoln is a city? Is it big?” What do you say to that? “Ummmm... it has 3 Taco Bells…”

    There’s not much use in telling them it’s Nebraska, either. “EWWWW! There’s nothing there!” “Ummmm… yea there is…”We have no incredible freebies to give out. “Southwestern give all freshmen a laptop, for free. What does Union do?” “Ummmm… we have salvation…”

    And telling them that the school costs $20,000 a year usually is a pretty big turn-off. “Oh my gosh! I can go somewhere else way cheaper.” “Ummmm… no you can’t…”

    So what’s been the selling point so far? When told about UC’s International Rescue and Relief program, the only one of its kind in the US, 75% of the guys respond like this: “Dude! Whoa!”

    ”Dude! Whoa!”
    is a good thing.

    Right now, I think there’s a couple of safe bets of guys that’ll be Slinga’ da Ink (UC’s school song) with me next year. More to come on “Operation: RecuitstudentssoIcangetanextrascholarshipfromUnion.”

    Overly optimistic slant:
    No one I know of is planning on coming to Union for a communication degree. Less competition!
All right, well I am off to stretch for my second flagball game. I’m sore already thinking about it.

-cw

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home